To get started with the HTC One M8 Sprint root, you will have to first install CWM/TWRP. So I will have to show you the procedure to install CMW/TWRP first and then I will proceed to the second and final part where we learn how to change the privileges to our android device. You will need a computer, your device and the standard USB cable.
Your phone should be in the USB Debugging mode. So you should connect your device and go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”. Your phone must be at least 70% charged before you proceed. You data should also be backed up. This device uses Google Android 4.1.2.
Step I- Flash CWM/TWRP or Philz Recovery (In case you don’t have it installed already):
- Android SDK must be already installed on you system, if you don’t have it you can install it from here.
- Make sure that you turn off the android device before you root HTC One M8!
- Restart it in to the bootloader mode (you can do this by pressing Volume Down and power button together while restarting, for some seconds). Then select “fastboot” by using Up and Down Volume keys.
- You can download the required DV_Sprint files from here.
- These files should be extracted on your Computer’s Desktop.
- Connect your device using a USB cord to the computer.
- Select “DV_Sprint-HTC-One” folder. Open ‘cmd prompt’ (you can do this by holding and pressing the ‘shift’ key on the keyboard and while you do that click anywhere on the blank space within the folder and then select “open command prompt window here”).
- Now start typing in your cmd prompt window “fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-220.127.116.11-m8spr.img” this will flash CWM recovery touch. The commands to be typed in the command prompt vary for the flashing of TWRP and Philz as “fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-18.104.22.168-m8wls.img” and “fastboot flash recovery philz_touch_5.08.5-m8spr.img” respectively.
- This will successfully install a custom recovery on our device.
Step II: Rooting HTC One M8 Sprint:
- First of all we need to get/download the root package on our computer from here.
- Now connect your device to the computer in Debugging mode and put the downloaded file in your device’s SD Card.
- Disconnect your phone by removing the cable.
- Switch off your phone.
- Now we need to enter the bootloader mode by pressing the power and Volume Down key at the same time for some seconds. Using the volume up and down keys select “Recovery”.
- We then select “install zip from SD card” and then “Choose zip from SD Card” from the recovery menu.
- From the SD card select your root package.
- The flashing operation is started.
- The M8 is now being rooted.
- Now we return to the main menu and select “reboot system now”.
You have now rooted Sprint’s HTC One M8. This also resulted in the installation of the recovery image (CWM/ Philz Recovery or TWRP).