One of the reasons why everyone loves HTC is that they realize the potential behind a fully unrestricted Android device and better yet, they fully support it and allow you to take part in it without the need to hack your way through anything. So in spirit of this generous gesture, we present to you a step by step tutorial that will help you root your HTC One M8. This method works for both Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android 5.0/5.0.1/5.0.2 Lollipop and is compatible with all models of the device.
BUT BEFORE WE BEGIN
To get started right away, you need to get the needed tools here: Rooting Tools
It is also mandatory that you first deal with unlocking the company’s Bootloader software. While this may sound confusing at first, it really isn’t and definitely beats having to hack through the devices’ system. As easy of a step it is, it’s not one we will be talking about. If you want to unlock your device’s bootloader, then please have a look at How to unlock Bootloader before proceeding any further.
As always, make sure to back up all of your data, make sure your smartphone has at least a 70% battery charge and please, MAKE SURE that you have READ THE INSTRUCTIONS thoroughly a few DOZEN times. We are not at all liable for any kind of damage that may happen to your during or because of this process.
ROOTING THE HTC ONE M8
- First and foremost, download the SuperSU zip file on to your computer. With this you can’t start rooting HTC One M8!
- Make sure that the “Fast Boot” option is not checked. This can be done by going into the Settings menu and then to Power.
- Turn off your device and restart it, holding down Volume Down and Power buttons for about 3 seconds to bring up the bootloader menu.
- Press the button on the device and you are now in FASTBOOT
- Connect the device to your computer, via a USB cable.
- Transfer the SuperSU file onto your device’s SD card.
- From the menu that appears, make sure you select Flash zip from SD Card, using the volume keys to navigate and find the location where you stored the file from step 6.
- Initiate the installation.
- Once the installation finishes, go to the main menu and select Reboot System Now to reboot your smartphone.
So again, make sure that you get the needed tools first before starting. Get them here: Rooting Tools
And with that, you have rooted your HTC One M8 and are now free to make the most of your device. Have fun!